Poppy seed, orange and black tea cup cakes
View the requirements
- for the black tea syrup
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g water
- 2 - black tea bags or tea leaves to taste
- For the poppy seeds and orange muffins
- 170 g flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 4 - eggs
- 170 g caster sugar
- 170 g butter
- 120 g orange juicde
- 2 - zest of oranges
- 15 g poppy seeds
- for the raspberry cream
- 400 g uht cream
- 100 g Hero Raspberry jam
- for layering
- 240 g Hero Raspberry jam
- 8 cup cake moulds
- 8 x 220ml glass jars
For the black tea syrup:
1) In a saucepan combine the sugar and water and bring to boil.
2) Remove from the heat, add the tea, cover with a lid and infuse for 5 minutes.
3) Strain and refrigerate.
For the poppy seeds and orange muffins:
1) Preheat the oven at 180°C. Sift the flour and baking powder together.
2) Combine egg yolks and 140g sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until creamy & fluffy. Add the butter, orange juice, orange zest, flour mixture and poppy seeds. Mix well.
3) In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites over high speed and sprinkle in the sugar (30g) gradually. Whisk to the hard peak stage.
4) Add half the egg white mixture to the yolk mixture and mix until well combined.
5) Fold in the remaining half with a spatula. Fill into a piping bag for easier handling and fill it into 7x4cm height muffin moulds. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
For the raspberry cream:
1) In an electric mixing bowl, combine cold UHT cream and Hero raspberry jam.
2) Mix with the whisk attachement on high speed to the hard peak stage.
3) Transfer to a piping bag.
To prepare the cup cakes in the single glass jars:
1) Cut the muffin in 3 equal parts and trim to fit into the jar.
2) With a brush, moisten the muffin with black tea syrup.
3) Pipe in a layer of raspberry cream, and top awith a layer of jam.
4) Repeat the layering until the jar is full. Cover and keep refrigerated.
- Black tea can be replaced by other teas or herbal/fruit teas such as mint tea etc.
- For a stiffer, mousse-like texture, add gelatin (15-20g per liter) in the whipped cream.
- Hero Raspberry jam can be replaced with other Hero jams or fruit filling.